Wednesday, February 24, 2010

My birth-day

My Mom's first 3 pregnancies were boys. She and everyone else in the family wanted a girl sooo bad that she convinced my Dad to try again. When she got pregnant the 4th time, the doctor told her it was a boy.

In the delivery room, she gave birth to what she thought was a baby boy. The doctor said "well, don't you want to see what it is?" She said "I already know it's a boy" and he replied..."it's a girl." Everyone in the delivery room wept and nearly fainted. My Mom scolded the doctor for misleading her but he said he couldn't identify the exact gender during her pregnancy so he didn't want to get her hopes up.

Now, in that moment, had I known the hell I was about to endure being the only girl out of 9 grand children/boys, I probably would've crawled back in the womb. And people wonder why I'm so weird? It all makes perfect sense :)

What it was like being the only girl out of 9 boys:
  • Waking up to a face full of permanent marker and if I had a friend over she was lucky enough to be my twin.
  • All the windows and light bulbs shot out of my doll house with BB guns.
  • Boot camp (need I say more?)
  • Tortured babysitters
  • Spitball/food fights
  • We owned every animal known to man (rabbits, hamsters, rats, turtles, frogs, dogs, cats, a rooster, fish, snakes, ferrets, tarantulas, lizards, birds and the list goes on and on)
  • Tortured baby dolls
  • Slingshots
  • Dart guns
  • And all the accidents that happened along the way

I could go on and on but I think you get the point. Thank goodness we all survived! I'm sure some things could have been avoided but overall, I think I turned out pretty good and I wouldn't be who I am today if I had it any different.

No comments:

Post a Comment