Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

In an effort to not be "negative Nancy" I keep most of my posts on the lighter side and write about all the wonderful things in my life (I have many). I am so grateful for everyone and everything in my life and I do my very best not to take it for granted. With that said, I'm allowed to have bad days...

The truth is, in the past few weeks I have had a lot of anxiety, tears, frustration, stress, loneliness, fear, and self pity which is taking a toll on my health. And in between all of the words above, I've had a lot of excitement, laughter and love. This move has been very overwhelming for me and completely shaken me up. I feel bad that Dave is on the front line of my melt downs but thankfully he understands.

I know it will all come together in time...I'm just impatient. Now that I got all of the depressing stuff out of the way, I will tell you about my week so far.

Dave and I returned home from Indiana late Sunday night. On Monday we woke up to a 50 degree house. We ran out of heating oil (still confused as to what heating oil is) in the middle of the night which was one of the coldest nights this winter. Once I finally talked myself into getting one of my legs out from underneath the comforter, I was able to beat my fastest "getting dressed" record. In fact, I think Dave and I were both dressed and out of the house in record time. We couldn't wait to get in the car and turn on the heat. We went to the college and waited in lines for 3.5hrs. Monday was one of those days where we were running around doing a lot of things but most of it was waiting on others and not much was getting accomplished. At the college, while standing in the cashiers line, we realized that my one, I repeat, ONE class would cost us $900...you read it right. I can't get in state tuition until we receive a specific letter from Dave's ship and they aren't being helpful at all. Thankfully, during the time at the college, we were able to get Dave enrolled in a couple classes through his GI BILL. That was great news! Dave and I both intended on going in to work after this visit but by the time we finished, the work day was almost over.

After calling around to several oil companies who wouldn't do a same day delivery (not a very good first impression), we finally found one that would. When I saw the oil truck pull up I started yelling "Dave, the oil man is here! The oil man is here!" I was on the phone with my Mom at the time and she said "it sounds like you're living out in the middle of nowhere." Now, they say oil is still the cheapest way to heat your home. It didn't feel like the cheapest way when we paid $400 two months ago and another $400 on Monday. This is to fill our 150 gallon tank. That seems quite expensive to me! Once the oil man left, we couldn't get our furnace to start. We called for service and a nice man showed up about 2hrs later. He was so nice that he charged us $150 to leak the air out of our pipes; a 4 min job. At the end of the night, heat and all, Dave and I sat on the couch feeling screwed. I'm pretty sure that's exactly what we were. Heating oil is very foreign to us right now but we're doing our research and Dave took lessons from the repair man so we won't have to pay an arm and a leg for 3 min of work again! The moral of the story; don't let your heating oil run out. The other moral of the story; heating oil is a scam ;)

Instead of focusing on the things we weren't able to accomplish Monday morning, we started focusing on our home in the afternoon. We unpacked more boxes and cleaned. It felt so good to have a clean and less cluttered home. And on top of that, we accomplished a lot which felt great after our morning.

Yesterday I decided I wanted to get my real estate license and work on a team with my sister-in-law. I started the 4wk course today and I'm pumped about it! I missed Monday because on Monday I didn't know that's what I wanted to do and there were consequences for that...a lot of homework. I have been working to catch up on it but I took a break to write this post. I got a little overwhelmed with everything and usually when that happens I write...lucky you if you're even still holding on. The not so awesome thing about taking this class is that I've taken it online in two different states. The awesome thing about taking this class again is that I remember a lot of the material. Today, my life went from 0-60 all in one day. Aside from my new school schedule and intense studying, I started working again after the holidays. I am really enjoying the current work projects

If you made it this far, I'm shocked. I hope you're week is going well. Always remember to be kind to yourself and cut yourself some slack when you get stressed, sad or overwhelmed.

Back to the books!

CW

3 comments:

  1. i didn't exactly say you lived out in the middle of nowhere, I said that it sounded like you're living on Green Acres! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't like you living there. It's way too far away! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know Mom but it gives you another place to visit other than AZ ;) Love you!

    PS: I couldn't remember what you called it when we were on the phone together, so I...improvised :)

    ReplyDelete