Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Camping

There were 10 of us who went camping last weekend. In order to prepare for the trip I created this long list that was, in Dave's words "a list to move to the wilderness forever." I mean, I didn't miss a thing on that list. Then my brother shot back a list of his own after telling me how ridiculous mine was and here is what he came up with:

CAMPING LIST
1. Beer
2. Liquor
3. The Rambo Knife (It has almost everything you will need to survive in any terrain.)
4. Beef Jerky
5. Minds willing to be molded because I will be the teacher!!!!
6. The cloths on our back
*Don’t worry about food, wood, tents, antibiotics, tooth brush, or anything else. Nature provides all of that for us.


Okay, so his list was accurate for the guys but us ladies needed to at least have a tooth brush and our face wash! The guys created tools out of branches to roast marshmallows and hot dogs. Made hot water by letting all the air out of a plastic water bottle, sealing it tight and setting it in the hot coals for 5 minutes. It may not have been the healthiest way to heat water but it worked great! Then once we had an empty glass bottle of liquor, they were able to use that to heat water for our coffee and hot chocolate. I learned some pretty neat things!

While we were camping we played games, sat around a camp fire, cooked, went on walks, explored, made s'mores (delicious!), chopped wood, watched the wildlife (birds, deer and etc.), went fishing, drank, laughed and had great conversation. Now that's what I call life! No one was worried about what to wear, how their make-up looked or their hair style.

There's something very calming about being in the middle of nowhere with people who are important to you, no phones, no TV and minimal supplies. I never realized how much Dave and my brothers knew about the wilderness. I was constantly fascinated by the alternative ways they did things. These guys were in their element and I felt very secure out there with them. We stayed Friday and Saturday night then came home Sunday early afternoon. I could have stayed at least a week if not longer. Dave and I often dream of a more simple lifestyle. We get worn down by the daily doings and the fast pace living, which I'm sure most of you do. We're grateful for all we have but it's nice to step away from it all every now and then.

I would love to go camping again some time soon and you should too!

Will be posting pictures soon so stick around!

Cereal Writer

3 comments:

  1. Watch out for those pumas and plague squirrels!

    Scott and I had a great time this weekend! We also decided that campimg is way exhausting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. IT'S A PUME-A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a great time! It is exhausting but I want to do it again :)

    ReplyDelete