Friday, October 16, 2009

Move #1 of 2

In case you haven't read my previous posts, the MR and I are going through a lot of life changes. One of the major ones is that we're moving across the country in December. A lot has happened in our life the past couple months.

Since we want to have a place to live when we move east in December, we decided to take a trip there last month to search for a home. Our first home together!!! We were there for 5 days. The first day we saw and drove by at least 30 homes. What a day that was! The rest of the days we saw more homes and wrote offers on a few others. The home shopping was fun and exciting which over powered the stress of it all. We were able to spend a little quality time with family. We love seeing them and now we're going to live by them very soon! After all the home shopping and enjoying the moments with family we headed back to the west coast.

We arranged to move out of our current home 9 weeks early and move into a friends home to save some money. That move was going to happen a week after we returned home from the east coast. It seemed like the moment we hit the ground we started packing. We had 4 days to pack before the movers arrived to take our things. We wanted to pack ourselves to save $1,500. We thought, how hard can packing be? So, we began packing on Monday. He decided that I would only pack the kitchen and he would do the rest of the house when he got off work early the next day. I'm pretty sure he decided he had to take control because I was packing as if I were playing a game of Tetris. I'm waaaay too thorough for him. By Tuesday the MR looked at me with beer in hand and said "how much was it again for them to pack this for us?" We laughed about it knowing that we realized just how much work it was. We finished up odds and ends on Thursday night and the packers arrived bright and early Friday morning. Friday evening we were going to sleep on a blow up mattress in our empty home, however, when we peeled it apart, it was covered in colorful, gushy mold. Lets just say, whatever was in my stomach before we opened the mattress was no longer going to be there after we opened it if I continued to look at it longer than .02 seconds. It was horrific and beyond disgusting. The most disgusting part was that it looked like that because one of our friends who ate TONS of garlic shrimp and had too much to drink one night, decided to puke all over the blow up mattress, another mattress in the room, floor, wall and ceiling fan (I know, baffling). It was scrubbed that night, rolled up and put away. I don't know whose idea that was! So, guess what Mr. Frugal Steel Stomach said? "Oh, fshhhh, I can spray this down with bleach and we'll be good to go!" You should have seen the mushed up, disgusted look on my face. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. There was NO way I would sleep on that thing. I repeat myself, NO WAY! I would rather sleep on rocks than sleep on that thing. I put my foot down and decided we should go to Target to buy a new one. The MR didn't like this idea but I wasn't budging!


The next day we moved into our friends home 15 minutes from our old one. We love their home, dogs and neighborhood. During that week the MR was out to sea and I was handling a never ending to-do list that mostly had to do with real estate transaction documents, loan documents and leaving our old home. Once the MR returned home he was able to help and the storm started to calm. We are really enjoying our new neighborhood, it's quaint and quiet. We walk everywhere with the dogs. We will be in our friends home for another 6 weeks then we start a whole new adventure...the move to the east coast! We're really going to miss everyone here on the west coast but we can always visit :)


Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment