Wednesday, October 7, 2009

We did it!

I know, it's been a while since I've written. My excuse is that my life has been so busy lately (life is just that way) but you would think that since I have lots going on that I'd have lots to write about, right? Well I do!

The MR and I finally jumped (slid, fell, got dragged, whatever you want to call it) off a cliff for our 3rd anniversary...Can you believe it?! I know, I can't either! On the morning of the event, I was feeling a little nervous but I knew it was happening no matter what! I was determined to take the chance and do something I never thought I'd do. Naturally (I think), I called everyone I love to let them know what I was about to do. I ended every conversation with "I love you" and told them if anything were to happen to me, I'd like all my clothes to go to my sister and my Honda civic to go to the MR. The MR was nervous about my hesitation since this was supposed to be a joint gift from each other for our anniversary and he didn't want to do it if he was going to go it alone. After breakfast and the phone conversations with my loved ones, we headed to the glider port.

When we arrived at the gliding port I started to feel even more nervous. We went into the shop, put our names on the list, signed our lives away and paid to basically get dragged off this cliff and hope for the best. We saw another couple who just returned from their flight and they were so excited about it. The girl even said "I just can't take this smile off my face!" I thought to myself, "Okay, there are little kids doing this. Come on Cereal Writer, you can do it!" I asked the woman at the counter if I would have an opportunity to speak to my instructor to make sure I would be comfortable enough about the event and she said "Absolutely, they will not take you unless you're comfortable."

When we got outside we met up with my Aunt and her friend who, after the greeting, felt inclined to say "You know, someone got hung up on the cliff here last weekend. He survived but he had to be rescued off the side of the cliff." REALLY??? Did he have to go there?! And guess what? Right after he told us that story, whose name did they call first? MINE! Yes, I was up first, before the MR (lucky duck!) The gentleman took me to my instructor who I shook hands with and began to ask my comfort questions to; "Are you going to take care of me? Will I be safe?" He answered "yes, this is my third time and if I do a good job then I can get my certification. Now run forward and then when I say "sit" tuck your legs and sit on your harness. Oh and how old are you? Okay, well I've been doing this for twice your age, I'm not going to drop you...RUN!" Now mind you, this word exchange was happening for a total of 1.5 minutes while he was quickly strapping me into the harness. So much for feeling comfortable before the take off!

I ran forward toward the wind as fast as I could, even though I was going nowhere, tucked my legs and sat when he yelled at me to do so. Off the cliff we went! Sound affects don't go over too well in writing, sorry. Since my legs were tucked before we went off the cliff, I didn't get the pleasure of running off the cliff, he did...darn! When we were in the air, he gave me a tour. Poor guy, I wasn't even listening to a thing he said. I was too worried about my safety and all the strange sounds and movements. Then he proceeded to answer a call on his cell phone, tell me to relax continuously (which was absolutely impossible) and tell me things like "your hair smells good" until we landed. I swear he was behind me the whole time mushing his face into my hair. Nothing like being strapped to another person in a harness, in the sky with no where to go, and hearing a bunch of pick up lines. To be honest, the landing was my favorite part. I couldn't enjoy myself while in flight because it was so new and I was too nervous. Once I got on the ground, the true emotions hit me. I was in shock that I actually did it and yes, I then realized just how neat it was. There was something very freeing about it not to mention the beautiful views.

My take off!


Then it was the MR's turn to go off the cliff! It was fun to watch him take off and know what he was experiencing up there. I know he was able to enjoy more of it than I since he's not afraid of much. After every crazy/dangerous thing we do he says "that was so cool! I want to get certified!" I'm like, "yeah, okay, check that off my bucket list!"

Dave Landing!


It was an amazing third anniversary with the MR. This was an experience we will never forget and one day tell our kids and their kids all about. The MR has encouraged me to do things I never thought I'd do in life and to step outside my comfort zone. He's taught me to be more adventurous and open to new things. He's everything I ever wanted in a husband and everything I never thought existed.

I wonder what we'll do next year. Any ideas???

And, I think you should know, I've missed you!

cw

2 comments:

  1. Can I see a certified account that you really did some hanging! Just kidding and I would never be brave or just crazy enough to give it a try. But then again rollerblading was a bit stressful for me. HaHa?

    Anyway cant wait to hear and experience your next xtreme adventure...but please be careful we want to keep you around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous, thank you for your comment. I will be adding video to this post as soon as the MR and I get settled in the east coast.

    bbfn,
    cw

    ReplyDelete